Where To Go In New York City

Times Square is a central hub of New York City - and even more incredible at night

Following eight weeks of working at a Summer Camp in upstate New York (actually closer to Montreal than NYC), I returned to the city for four days. I'd only been to the USA once before, to visit New York City in 2009, so it was great to experience it again, almost a decade later.

There's so much to do in the city that never sleeps but unless you're set on going to a lot of museums or seeing numerous Broadway shows, you can do most of the main sites and a few other attractions in three or four days. Aside from Times Square (pictured above), here's my other recommendations of where to go if you're unsure what to invest your time in while in New York City!

Yankee Stadium in the Bronx
On my first day, we went to a New York Yankees game! As the photo shows, I was incredibly high up (literally two rows from the top) and given my major fear of heights, this didn't work so well for me! However, I did leave my seat and spend the rest of my time with four charming New Yorkers, who did their best to introduce me to the rules. While I still don't understand it and our game was particularly slow, I'd recommend going at least once for a new sporting experience if you've never gone before!

Bryant Park
Of course Central Park is huge and well worth a visit but if you're out sightseeing in Midtown, perhaps strolling in the direction of the Empire State (lit up in the centre of my photo above), I'd highly recommend Bryant Park to catch your breath. New York has endless skyscrapers and coming across a wide green, community space to sit down - there's seated areas as well as the grass - is very refreshing. They also have events going on all the time so keep your eyes peeled in case there's something that takes your fancy! 

The New York Public Library in Bryant Park

As an English graduate, the New York Public Library in Bryant Park made me want to apply to do a post grad in NYC, simply so I could do my research and study there. The intricacy of the structure is breathtaking, as shown above on the ceiling in one of the rooms. There's plenty of spacious areas with desks, some with computers, and of course rooms with endless books. Some areas aren't open to the general public but it's well worth a visit.

Grand Central Terminal
With how grand and glorious Grand Central Station is, it's hard to believe it's actually a working train station. You may recognise it from a film, but trust me, it is well worth a visit in person to fully take it in. It's also very close to Bryant Park so you can easily do the park, the New York Public Library and the station in one morning or afternoon.

The High Line
Running from Chelsea through to the Meatpacking District in Manhattan, The High Line is a park located 30ft above street level on an old rail line. It's 1.45 miles long and offers both river and city views. Admittedly, it won't offer as good views as from The Top Of The Rock but if like me, you'd rather keep your feet on the ground and want a relaxing stroll, you may find this much more appealing. It's also free!

Views from the Brooklyn Bridge
Connecting Manhattan to Brooklyn, is New York City's famous Brooklyn Bridge. I walked across the whole bridge back in 2009 but in 30 degrees, we opted out on this occasion. As I didn't have time to go to the Statue of Liberty, I was happy to see it in the distance (far away but it's there) while on the bridge. It also has incredible views of the city skyline. You also walk on path that goes above the traffic, rather than alongside it... which may either scare or excite you!

So there's my recommendations for New York City, I hope it helps if it's on your bucket list! If you're interested in seeing more of my photos of my travels, follow me on Instagram @hdonlinephoto

Comments

Popular Posts