24 Hours In Philadelphia


During my travels in the USA this Summer, I decided that my first stop after New York City would be Philadelphia. While I was pretty sad to leave my camp friends behind, as the bus headed into the state of Pennsylvania, I couldn't help but feel excited about venturing the States solo!

I wasn't sure how much there was to see in Philadelphia, so I opted to book a super cheap hostel for one night only. As it was, I feel as if I managed to see pretty much everything as the city isn't huge and I found many landmarks are close together... in fact, just walking, I seemed to come across a cool statue, park or building every couple of minutes!

There's so many places to see but here's some of my highlights from my 24 Hours in Philadelphia!


Sure, it's not the Brooklyn or the Golden Gate, but the Ben Franklin Bridge is still a sight to behold - I was lucky enough to see it in ominous fog and rain as well as sunshine. I really enjoyed sitting at the end of Race Street Pier to take the view in as it was very quiet, especially after the bustle of NYC.


One of the first landmarks I came across in Philadelphia was the Independence Hall, where both the United States Declaration of Independence and Constitution were debated and signed. Across the road and you'll find the Liberty Bell. While you do have to go through security to get into the small centre where it's held, it's free to enter. You'll even see the huge crack!


In the evening, I headed to Pizzeria Stella for dinner, which I would highly recommend. Just a minute or so beforehand, I found this beautiful red brick building - The New Market and Head House. The streets here worked in a rectangle shape and were modern while retaining a quaint, old-fashioned feel to them. If that's something that intrigues you, I also recommend Elfreth's Alley, near the Ben Franklin Bridge.


I headed Downtown in the evening and it's hard to believe that just 15/20 minutes walk away, you're looking at old brick buildings. Of course, the architecture and skyline is impressive, but I couldn't help feeling as if I could be in any major city in the world when I looked up here. However, if you're nearby, I would suggest checking out Reading Terminal Market - it's an indoor emporium of food stalls, and really interesting to wander round.


Given my fascination for the criminal justice system (I have watched countless prison documentaries on Netflix), I just knew I had to pay a visit to the Eastern State Penitentiary. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely loved seeing inside the prison and learning about its history. You can even see into Al Capone's cell and an audio guide accompanies you the whole way round, really adding to the experience.

Have you been to Philadelphia? What part was your favourite? I'd love to know!


Heading out to the USA soon? Check out my post on where to go in New York City. If you're interested in seeing more of my photographs, find me on Instagram @hdonlinephoto

Comments

Popular Posts